We have received the details of the Plenary Indulgence for the Year of St. Joseph that the Holy Father has granted to the Diocese of Birmingham in Alabama. Like the foregoing Marian Year, shrines for gaining this indulgence are designated throughout the Diocese of Birmingham. The initial list of approved shrines is:
- St. Joseph Church in Huntsville
- St. Joseph Church in Florence
- St. Joseph Church in Ensley (Birmingham)
- The Cathedral of St. Paul
- The Chapel of St. John Vianney Residence for Retired Priests
- The Chapel of Our Lady of Joyful Hope Cenacolo Community in Hanceville
- The Chapel of Camp Tekakwitha in Springville
To gain the Year of St. Joseph Indulgence, the following prayers and works should be done:
- Visit one of the approved shrines and spend a suitable amount of time in prayer before the statue of St. Joseph there.
- Conclude by praying an Our Father and an approved Creed (the Apostles' Creed or the Nicene Creed).
- Pray also an invocation to the Holy Family (for example: "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, bless my family").
- Pray for the Holy Father's intentions.
- Be detached from all sin, including venial sin.
- Receive Holy Communion in the state of grace within at least 20 days before or after.
- Go to Confession within at least 20 days before or after.
Therefore, a member of the faithful who goes to daily Mass/Communion and at least monthly Confession can receive the Plenary Indulgence up to once a day. (One Confession can cover multiple attempts to receive an indulgence.)
Prayer to Saint Joseph for Vocations
O glorious St. Joseph, Patron of the Universal Church, behold, the great need for priests
and consecrated religious here in the Diocese of Birmingham!
Help the good men and women whom God is calling to respond promptly and courageously to His call. During this Year dedicated to you, obtain for us many holy vocations.
Take from our number those neededfor the Lord's service!
Graciously hear and answer our prayer through the love you bear to Jesus Christ and His Mother, Blessed Mary, your spouse and for the glory of His Holy Name.
Imprimatur: +Robert J. Baker, S. T.D. Bishop of Birmingham in Alabama
May 16, 2018 — Beginning of the Year of St. Joseph